Seven Secrets of a Happy Life
- Get rid of all bitterness against people you know or believe have done you wrong. Such feelings are sinful, and cut us off from God. You can ask God to give you a "new" heart. Ezekiel 36:26; "And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart."
- You need to get rid of all guilty feelings about your past. You can do this easily 1 John 1:9; "But if we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong." Confess your sins to God and believe His promise to cleanse you from all sin. You are free! Thank God for that. You will want to make it right with anyone you might have hurt. You will want to apologize to anyone you have fought with or told lies about him or her. But do not go back into your past, digging up old mistakes and sins that are forgotten by others. Trust God. Your good life will show others that you are truly belong to Him now, and the past does not count.
- Be faithful and kind to your wife or husband. Marriage is a great challenge. With God, it can be the most rewarding experience in this present life. Without Him, it can be pure wretchedness and misery. If you are yet unmarried and would like to find a mate you can be happy with, ask God for advice and leading. He knows the hearts of all men and women, and who would be best for you. Trust His wisdom and love.
- Make God your guide and counselor in all money matters. Be faithful to Him in tithes and offerings. Deuteronomy 14:22-23; "Bring this tithe to the place the Lord your God chooses for His name to be honored.....The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to fear [respect] the Lord your God."
- Discover the joy of giving your time and money to help those who are suffering or in trouble. God delights to bless those who do what they can, using His blessings unselfishly for others. But the real needs of your own family come first.
- Be truthful. Do not tell "white lies." They are hard to keep track of, and one lie needs another to cover it up. The Lord says, "Be sure your sin will find you out." There will be no liars in heaven.
- Make Jesus your best friend through daily prayer and Bible study, and daily surrender of your whole life to Him. He will surprise and delight you with many wonderful answers to your prayers.