10 Easy Ways to Increase Fiber in Your Diet
A high-fiber diet prevents constipation, high cholesterol, stomach problems, diabetes, cancer, obesity [overweight], and high blood pressure. To increase the fiber in your diet:
- Eat whole-wheat bread instead of white bread.
- Top your yogurt with fresh fruits, such as raspberries.
- Eat the skin on your baked potato.
- Choose bran flakes instead of corn flakes.
- Eat a carrot, apple (with skin), or pear.
- Include beans in soups and vegetable salads.
- Use long grain brown rice instead of white rice.
- Add raw bean or soybean sprouts to your sandwiches.
- Have an orange or grapefruit instead of juice for breakfast.
- Top your casseroles with a whole-grain cereal such as shredded wheat.